Chalk Walk entertains, engages, and educates the 22,000 viewers who flock to see the spectacle unfold. The event is based on an Italian tradition of street painting that dates to the 16th century, known as i madonnari (street painters). Using pastels, artists may choose to reproduce existing artworks or create their own in their designated square. Held in conjunction with the Three Rivers Festival, Chalk Walk is truly a community event and draws on the amazing talents of area, regional and national artists. Individuals and families with no training in art are especially encouraged to participate.
This event draws thousands of people in the community to the heart of downtown Fort Wayne for artists and spectators alike to witness the transformation of Main Street into the colorful canvas of the city. Year after year, our goal is to draw the city's most creative citizens for one long weekend each summer to contribute to the largest community art project in the region, attracting families, friends, and supporters of a vibrant cultural life in downtown Fort Wayne.
Thank you to our 2016 sponsors!
July 8: Early check-in and square planning, 5-8pm
July 9: Chalking begins at 10am, public welcome 10am-sundown
July 10: Chalking continues from 11am-5pm, prizes awarded at 4pm*
*Prizes may be awarded sooner than 4pm Sunday, depending on the possibility of rain.
Square Prices and Details:
ALL SQUARES ARE SOLD OUT.
4'x4' square: $5, includes 12ct pastels, water, event bag, and $5 coupon for the 2016 Chalk Walk T-shirt
8'x8' square: $10, includes 24ct pastels, water, event bag, and 2016 Chalk Walk T-shirt
Squares are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis, and we work hard to place each chalker near friends and family, if desired. Should squares fill up before you get a chance to register, we will put you on the waiting list. Contact Kaitlyn Rulton at email@example.com to be put on our Chalk Walk 2016 waiting list.
Cash Prizes are awarded to winners in each Chalk category. Winners are chosen by a panel of judges from FWMoA and the community, except for the People's Choice Award, which is chosen by the public.
2016 categories are:
Interested in Volunteering for Chalk Walk?
The Chalk Walk Team is always looking for volunteers to help with the event! Email Kaitlyn Rulton at firstname.lastname@example.org today.
Dear prospective Chalk Walk artist,
Last year's Chalk Walk was a great success in many ways. The art, which each of your create on the difficult surface of our city's streets, is simply wonderful. Creative expression is, of course, the whole point of Chalk Walk. For the community, whether amateurs or full-time artists, this event celebrates the creativity that you choose to share with thousands of people. We encourage you to continue the legacy of inventive visual expression on the city streets.
We'd like to remind you that brand identifications, logos, and URLs in chalk are reserved for our supporting sponsors and that individual non-sponsored squares should focus on non-commercial or non-promotional artwork. For prize consideration, please note our special prize categories, and if you have any questions about acceptable presentations, please call us at 260.422.6467.
Rules of participation:
1. Only NON oil-based pastels are to be used. The use of any other material is prohibited except for diluted tempera paint, which may be used as a thin wash of undercoat. Tempera paint is the ONLY paint allowed to be used as an undercoat for your artwork.
2. The FWMoA reserves the right to deem any subject matter as inappropriate for this all-ages, non-commercial event. Inappropriate subject matter includes hateful political statements, political campaign/endorsement messages, commercial advertisement (statements or logos by non-sponsoring organizations) or subject matter not suitable for children.
Chalk Walk artists that create squares with any of the following subject matter may be asked to stop and/or paint over their square:
3. The FWMoA reserves the right to limit the number of people working on any space at any given time to two, with the exception of those who have registered for family spaces.
4. Inevitably, some Chalkers will be placed on a square with cracks or other street blemishes. This is a fact of the event, and we will most likely not be able to move you to another square. We suggest you make the most of it by entering your square into the "Best Use of a Street Blemish" category for a chance to win a cash prize.
5. Non-compliance with these rules may result in removal from the event.
6. Outdoor hand washing stations and restrooms will be on site – artists are asked to use these facilities in an effort to keep the interior of the Museum chalk-free.
Tips for a great Chalk Walk: