This exhibition is a celebration and exploration of the birth and development of the Fort Wayne Art School in its century as a downtown Fort Wayne cultural entity. It brings together elements of the school’s history and a collection of works by many of the faculty members who left their mark on the school, its students and the city. Much of the art in this exhibition was loaned by students, friends, family and faculty who hold many fond memories of their time at the “Old Art School”.
Many former students of the Fort Wayne Art Institute recall the creative energy, excitement and camaraderie of the Berry Street campus. A sense of community and family existed in the enclave of former homes and out-buildings that was the Art School’s campus for seventy years.
The students benefitted from one-on-one time with professors, small classes and the intimacy of the one-block campus. Many of the faculty members not only kept studios on the campus, but also lived in the neighborhood. The campus was a hub-bub of activity – often from morning until late into the night. The Art School – a place of industry and excitement was felt by many non-students to be the cultural core of the West Central neighborhood.
Much as the move from the Hamilton carriage house must have felt to the students and faculty in 1903, the move in 1991 to the Indiana-Purdue campus was bittersweet. Many lamented the loss of freedom that the downtown campus allowed, but the merger provided a sound new building and more space to dedicate to each discipline. The Department of Fine Arts also gained better access to university life than it had as a separate campus. But many who remember Berry Street still feel nostalgic about the gritty downtown campus – for them that was the real “Art School”.
adaptability – resilience in the face of changing circumstances continue to be
defining characteristics of this institution. A little painting class became
the Fort Wayne Art School, later the Fort Wayne Art Institute, then the IPFW
Department of Fine Arts and is now organized as the Purdue Fort Wayne Department
of Art and Design and Department of Visual Communication and Design. Each
iteration has a history of attracting outstanding faculty, each bringing
something new to the students, enabling specialization in media and skills. The
programs continue to evolve to support changing student needs and economic
demands as new technologies replace old methods, while adhering to the
fundamentals taught by the earliest instructors. What started as a small painting
class in 1888 now educates hundreds of students annually in design, fine arts,
art education, art history and visual communication.
December 13, 5:30pm
Fort Wayne Art School Exhibition Celebration
Join us for a panel discussion starting at 5:30pm led by Art School alumni Dale Enochs and Don Lutz, former instructor Don Kruse, and current PFW professor of painting and drawing John Hrehov.
Admission is free for the party with appetizers and cash bar, and unique, artist-made holiday gifts will be available for sale in the Paradigm Gallery during its 2nd Thursday Bauble Party event.
February 7, 12:15pm
The curators of this exhibition, Sue Slick and Charles Shepard, will lead you on an engaging and lively gallery tour of "1026 W Berry Street: The Fort Wayne Art School." From their insider points of view, curators offer deeper insight into our exhibitions.
Tours are free with museum admission.